Thursday, February 11, 2010



I thought these teacher Valentines gifts turned out cute!
Red Velvet cake pop bouquets..



Bakerella has awesome ideas.... everyone seems to be all over the cake balls, but since cake pop sounds so much more appetizing, that's what we went with! Little bites of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and coated in white chocolate. These have been the kids nightly dessert of choice for the past week ... and I love that they are satisfied with what amounts to one bite of cake!

(by the way, I know I need to update the Christmas header... I'm like those annoying people that still have their outside lights up at Easter)

4 comments:

Beth said...

Simply adorable! Love the idea. Also good done as cheese cake balls/pops.. Where did you find the red velvet recipe?? Bakerella is an awesome site...:)

Heather said...

Very nice Laura and so creative! I tried to make red velvet cake balls about a month ago and they totally flopped. Could not get the white chocolate on them to save my life. I think my heat was up too high and the chocolate thickened too much and would not go on the balls except in a huge clumpy mess. I'm not good in the kitchen. They were yummy though.

Aunt Nancy said...

Impressive!! Nice presentation, homeade, it's a winner ;)

Laura said...

Beth - It's just one red velvet cake mix crumbled up and then stir in about a cup and a half of cream cheese frosting.
Heather - I think freezing the balls first helps them keep their shape. (and from previous dipping experience I think paraffin wax or veg shortening helps thin the chocolate very nicely)

And finally and very importantly ... DO NOT let your five year old eat too many or she will puke up red dye all over the white carpet... and then try to clean it up herself by squeezing an entire tube of blue toothpaste all over it. This is going to be a fun morning.