Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why Can't I Learn?

**update -Well... it seems like a fluke afterall... woohoo!! Maddie confessed that she ate a total of five of the choc chip cookies we made last night and we're thinking that (or the funny-tasting dinner) might be the culprit**

I realized something early on in mothering - there are certain things you shouldn't proclaim out loud ... Saying something like "she just started sleeping through the night" will guarantee that she wakes up every single hour that night. A few other such
occurrences taught me to pipe it and just be thankful.

That's what I was doing this winter whenever I would think about how healthy the kids have been. When their classmates are dropping off like flies, they haven't missed a day of school - not even a cold, really. I even almost mentioned something like that in a post a couple weeks ago! But then yesterday I ran into a friend in the store telling me her kids have just endured six long weeks of strep and the flu. She asked if my kids had been sick at all.
Before I could stop it... it was out of my smug little mouth.
And... wouldn't you just know it... 3:30 am comes around and Maddie is throwing up. Kate isn't even up yet this morning, but I went in to her room to check on her and it sounds like she might be congested.

On the bright side, they all refuse to stay indoors any longer. So there's hope that it won't make it's way around to all of us (did I just say that? see the title of the post, I guess)
Regardless of the weather the past two weeks, they have stayed outside all day. It rained all day long on Sunday and, still, they refused to play inside. They are so giddy at seeing the blue sky for the first time in months - not even 20 degrees will keep them in.
Snapped a couple days ago while at the park with dad.



11 comments:

Rebekah said...

I remember bragging to someone that Paige hadn’t gotten an ear infection in 6 months– the next week Paige got an ear infection! Always seems to work that way.
Love the picture of Maddie and Kate!

Robin said...

Hoping you all stay healthy and Maddie feels better soon. Let me know if you need anything. I have homemade soup in the freezer if you want!

Anonymous said...

Laura Dear,
It's nearly mid-March...I'm ready for some spring on your blog design. Counting on your creativity ;)

Laura said...

you're right Auntcy... I'll get on that!

Rebekah said...

While your at you can do mine:-)

Mrs. Sofa said...

that's a cool picture!!

I can't seem to learn that either!! like a little slap in the face every once in a while.

I mentioned last week that hub's work week finally ends on fridays...he didn't get home until early saturday morning. i'm better off keeping some things to myself;)

Beth said...

You make me laugh...yes, that is "murphy's law" I guess...

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Thanks Dear ;)

Elaine said...

Hope all funkiness has left your house! We're on round #2 in less than a month right now. (Grrr.) Oh, very cool pic from the park!

Heather said...

Funny, my friend and I were talking a few weeks back and she commented on how my kids haven't been sick this whole season really. I said I know, I can't believe it. BAM!! They got sick with colds about a week later and we are just getting over it. WEIRD!

Anonymous said...

Like the new header -- very spring like! Neat shot of the girls, too!