Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wild Animal Safari


On Tuesday we went to the Wild Animal Safari, about two hours south of us. If you're anywhere in Georgia, this place is worth the drive and price of admission.

The kids and I are totally ruined for zoo's from now on. Once you've hand-fed zebra's and giraffe's, just looking at them in the distance will seem too dull!
Bethany told us about this place and even took the day off to go with us. We rented one of their vans which was a good decision. This adventure was rather slimy ... the animals can be very persistent about being fed.
See what I mean?!






We (mostly Bethany) took over 400 pictures and then we deleted about half, so even though this is a lot, at least I'm not sharing all 200!



Loved the zebra's


This guy made me nervous. Mostly because I needed to gun the stalling van up the hill and I was afraid he wouldn't move! (he did)


The very rare Zedonk


Absolutely magnificent creature... love this face.


We were wondering for a minute if we were allowed to feed the giraffe's (they don't roam free but are able to stick their heads in your car) Bethany gave it a whirl first.
Success.



Maddie won the award for bravery in feeding, hands down. The animals that I deemed too gross to feed she gladly took on.


Sean did awesome too! In the beginning he said he was just going to sit in the backseat and watch, but before too long he jumped right in.

Kate didn't hand-feed any animals but she threw food down for them to eat.

After we finished the safari, we went through the walk-through portion of the park. Mostly your typical zoo animals but the cages allow you to be much closer to the animals than usual.




This was an awesome sight to see... a peacock flaring his feathers.


Not a very good picture but this here is a Liger. It's pretty much my favorite animal.


6 comments:

Saving money in West Michigan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

(sorry! logged in under the wrong acct before!!)

Pretty cool Liger, Napoleon! This place looks really awesome! How amazing for the kids to be able to get so close up to the animals. Cool!

Laura said...

oh good, I was hoping at least one person would get the Napolean reference -ha!

Beth said...

Cool place...I'll have to let my family know about it, and maybe visit someday myself! :o)

Heather said...

Love the pics of the giraffes! Very cool place you visited and great pics.

Aunt Nancy said...

Wonderful pictures as always. Why did God give giraffes such beautiful thick long eyelashes and skip over the Pyle girls and some of their daughters?