Thursday, October 15, 2009

That time of year again...


Kate and I spent a long three hours at craniofacial clinics yesterday. It was hard. I went in hoping to discuss the ONE surgery I know we have coming up and left realizing we have THREE that will need to be done before she starts kindergarten. I was so frustrated and sad ... and I held back my tears until I was home and could talk it out and find the perspective I knew would be there.
Something has happened to her soft palate and it will need to be reconstructed again. Her nose and top lip will essentially need to be taken apart and put back together again. They can't be done at the same time unfortunately. Both are long and complicated and involve more recovery time than I even want to think about. Last but most definitely least her ear tubes have fallen out and need to be replaced but hopefully that can be combined with whatever surgery comes first.
But, I will keep saying this when I'm overwhelmed for her... Praise God that we are ABLE to do this for her... and that we now have access to one of the best pediatric plastic surgeons in the WORLD. (he's even been in People magazine a few times for patients that come here from other countries)


A picture from yesterday... getting a hearing test. She was supposed to smack the sticker on the machine whenever she heard a beep - then a skittle would come out. Well, naturally she smacked the thing over and over regardless of any beeping. The lady was getting frustrated, but after a long afternoon this just made me laugh. What do you expect when you put candy in there, lady?!?

Will post some pictures of the kids this weekend!

7 comments:

Beth said...

Wow Laura! I had no idea that Kate had any issues at all! Praying for you during this time. Will she have one of the surgeries soon? That is awesome about the surgeon.

Laura said...

don't know when yet... having some scope tests in a few weeks to determine how urgent the palate one is. First one probably sometime early winter.

Elaine said...

Aw, poor kate (and poor Mommy!). You guys will get through this! Kids are so resilient and I'm sure Kate will be a star patient! That's wonderful news about the surgeon. Cleveland Clinic? It's a magical place!

Laura said...

yes, the Clinic is awesome but this is UH/Rainbow Babies.

Janice said...

How wonderful that Kate has such a strong Mom. I can't imagine Kate anything other than strong and resilient and self-confident, just like you. Wonderful to hear how you feel about the doctors -- the docs and you and her family will get her through it all.

Mrs. Sofa said...

I'll be praying for you all!! Kate is a stong one, like her momma ;)
love the skittles story :)

Heather said...

I have a good friend that is going through a very similar thing with her daughter and has to have future surgeries. That is wonderful that you have such an amazing doctor that will take very good care of her, she is in great hands. Will be praying for you all through this! Kate makes me smile once again with your skittle story.