The parents on our street are making my job so much harder.
I could go on and on about the ridiculously expensive things they buy their kids on a weekly basis. They all have nicer cameras and cell phones than I do (they're 8 by the way) but today just beats all.
One of the 8 year old girls came over today to show Maddie her new purse.
"It's a real Louis, you know" Maddie oohs and aaahs, like she knows what that means.
I chime in...Your mom bought you a real Louis Vuitton, are you serious??
Um...yeah, like, you can tell it's real because of the upside down LV's.
Um, yeah, like, thanks for clarifying, I've got the $25 version so mine are right-side up.
My kids can be just as selfish and spoiled as the next, but we try to explain to them how blessed they are just to have a roof over their head. When the kids they see all the time are given so much excess, it's hard for them to understand that.
I swear, my desire to raise normal, level-headed kids (with my inherited frugality gene) seems like more of an impossible task every time these kids show off their new toys.
Alright, end of rant.
...And onto the other parenting highlight of my day...
As I'm picking Sean up from school, his teacher pulls me aside with a devastated look on her face. "I just don't understand it... Sean was terrible today. Throwing toys, throwing sand, tackling other kids without warning. This just isn't him"
I stood there shaking my head like I just couldn't believe this was MY Sean acting this way... inside, of course, thinking... wow, I can't believe it took him this long to show his true colors.
It's going to be a very sad household here tomorrow morning; Sean's punishment is not being able to watch the garbage man. The last time we used this as a punishment, he cried so pitifully we were almost tempted to reverse the decision.
One of the 8 year old girls came over today to show Maddie her new purse.
"It's a real Louis, you know" Maddie oohs and aaahs, like she knows what that means.
I chime in...Your mom bought you a real Louis Vuitton, are you serious??
Um...yeah, like, you can tell it's real because of the upside down LV's.
Um, yeah, like, thanks for clarifying, I've got the $25 version so mine are right-side up.
My kids can be just as selfish and spoiled as the next, but we try to explain to them how blessed they are just to have a roof over their head. When the kids they see all the time are given so much excess, it's hard for them to understand that.
I swear, my desire to raise normal, level-headed kids (with my inherited frugality gene) seems like more of an impossible task every time these kids show off their new toys.
Alright, end of rant.
...And onto the other parenting highlight of my day...
As I'm picking Sean up from school, his teacher pulls me aside with a devastated look on her face. "I just don't understand it... Sean was terrible today. Throwing toys, throwing sand, tackling other kids without warning. This just isn't him"
I stood there shaking my head like I just couldn't believe this was MY Sean acting this way... inside, of course, thinking... wow, I can't believe it took him this long to show his true colors.
It's going to be a very sad household here tomorrow morning; Sean's punishment is not being able to watch the garbage man. The last time we used this as a punishment, he cried so pitifully we were almost tempted to reverse the decision.
9 comments:
I think that is so funny that he likes to watch the garbage man. I saw the picture of him sitting in his chair watching them and I died laughing. That is one of the cutest stories I have ever heard. And that he gets so upset if you take that away from him. Poor guy.
awe, poor sean!! :(
i cannot believe an 8 year old has that purse. what does she even need a purse for??? RIDICULOUS!!!
When they get all my-parent's-are-abusing-me, tell them what I told you: If you feel your psyche was damaged, when you are 21, I will pay for your first therapy sessions...until then, you will smile and pretend to respect my wishes!
Looks like you need to make a move to hoighty toight RR~ not so hoighty toighty after all ;) Couldn't help myself. Always need a shameless plea to try and get you to come back to me! Good luck with all the parenting dilemnas. Call me if you just need an ear to listen. Miss you all. -Robin
Dad- I'm finally ready to take you up on the therapy offer; unfortunately the first bill comes to an even $1000. (i'll take cash or a check, whatever's easiest)
I love nice things -- but have never understood the adults who purchase these. Why would anybody spend $$$$$ for a plastic bag when every teen in the mall is carrying one (real, fake--who cares). Stupid is as stupid does is the most apt comment I can think of. BTW -- let me know when your Dad sends the check!
O...did I not tell you that I was the therapist?
darn it all... and I was gonna buy a real LV with the $$$$!!
So, this is way too ironic! Josh and I were walking Louie this a.m. and saw a little boy sitting in his driveway on some little car or whatever. Well, Josh was with me and asked, "what's that kid doing?" I replied easily, "probably waiting for the garbage man." Thinking, "DUH!"
Post a Comment