Monday, May 14, 2007

Oh Sh*t!

An unfortunate phrase the kids picked up on as we ran out of gas two blocks from a gas station. We decided on the way out to eat that we could ignore the gas light until after dinner. It was one of those why-did-we-even bother restaurant experiences (I refer to eating out with kids, not why did we bother having kids in the first place… although sometimes that thought crosses the mind)
We made the other unfortunate decision to go to a nicer place for mother’s day rather than a kid-friendly place. When they weren’t stabbing each other with chop sticks they were crawling under the table or harassing the tables around us. I noticed a little girl watching her portable dvd while her parents ate -- something that I would have scoffed at before I had kids (and knew everything) but now realized they’re onto something.
So, we’re driving home with our nerves fried and the car stalls out. I take over the wheel as Pat pushes the van for us -- as if the restaurant experience wasn’t bad enough, I felt like we really solidified our hillbilly status with this one. So, Pat goes to take a little break and -thoughtful wife that I am- I step on the brakes to wait for him. Apparently that was the wrong thing to do because the restraint he showed in not snapping at me was nothing short of miraculous. The only thing that made it slightly worth it for him was Sean comparing him to Mr. Incredible -- he was in complete awe of the fact that he has a dad strong enough to push a car all by himself. Not the most glamorous mothers day ever but it will certainly be a memorable one.

A gift from Maddie... "My Marvelous Mother"
They decorated a cake for me (then tore into it without even offering me a bite)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL...the pictures I conjure up of all of this are pretty funny. I know what you mean about the eating out -- it's so much pressure on a Mom and the kids.

Michelle D said...

Europe is such a great place to eat out...unless you have kids. I went out to an Indian restaurant last week with some Brits and left the boys with Erik. First time I've gone out alone like that since I had Jack. Pretty sad huh? Good to hear that other people have trouble eating out too:) I love Maddie's drawing - what a little artist!

Anonymous said...

Taking kids out to eat in general is just a hard thing to do. A few weeks ago we went to a Mexican restaurant. Paige refused to sit down and eat all she wanted to do was run around as fast as she could weaving in & out of other guest’s tables. Jamie and I had to take turns eating while the other one was chasing her around. Every time we take her out to dinner we end up asking ourselves -Why?!! I don’t even think a dvd player would work for her, but I wouldn’t be above trying it!

Mrs. Sofa said...

I love reading your blogs!! Keep them coming :)