Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Chicken Book

My older sister is the only person who will read this title and know immediately what I'm referring to.
What I wouldn't give for a copy of that book right now.
After a recent question by Maddie, I ran home and checked Amazon for the chicken book ... but since I can't remember the real name of the book, I may have to consider a different approach.

My mom's ingenious method of relating the facts of life to us was reading a book that showed various farm animals engaging in acts of romance (henceforth dubbed the chicken book) ... concluding with a final page of a man and woman with covers pulled up to their eyeballs (it's actually a wonder that I have three kids, to be honest)

So, yesterday Maddie and I are chatting, and after many questions about kids who don't have both parents, orphans, etc... we arrive at this question:

"Is it possible for a woman to have a baby without being married?"
Yes, it is.
"Really? So, God can give a woman a baby even though she's not married?"
Well ... there has to be a dad involved to make a baby and that can happen even if the woman is not married.
"So... how does that happen? Do they, like, sign a contract together and then God decides whether or not to put a baby in the woman's belly."
Oh Dear God, help me now.

I have obviously never had to have this discussion before and let me tell you - the thought of explaining the
in's and out's (so to speak) is terrifying.
Maddie isn't really like me - she doesn't just accept an answer and move on, she needs to understand all the
nitty gritty details. I was able to buy myself some time since the younger two were in the car ... thank you God.

But I am fully prepared for both of us to be completely traumatized. My sisters and I tease my mom about that silly book, but with an inquisitive daughter I find myself wishing for a book with a simple explanation ...and maybe even a few farm animals thrown in for good measure.



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

'chicken book' huh? I do remember the book, but not the name. sorry about the lack of sex ed. I"m sure you'll do better. have fun.

Rebekah said...

I was laughing hysterically when I read this - I do remember the book, but unfortunately I don’t remember the name. You do have your work cut out for you with little miss smarty-pants!

Laura said...

Upon further reflection, I think the friends we showed it to when they came over may have had a part in naming the book. (sorry, mom - you didn't hide it very well)
Mental note: no pictures, put the book under lock and key.

Robin said...

I have a book...where do babies come from...equally as traumatic! You are welcome to it... Thank heavens for Morgan's carefree and oblivious attitude!

Mrs. Sofa said...

I guess throwing the kids a book runs in the family....MOM!
Mine wasn't farm animals though - that's freaking hilarious!
I don't want to one day eat my words, but I pray I will not be the book-giving kind!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you have to deal with that already. I need to start thinking about what I'll do because it probably sneaks up on you when you think they're still too young. If you remember the name of the book, let us know. That's funny that she asked if they sign a contract and then God decides if He wants to put a baby in her belly. Good thinking though.

Michelle said...

Hysterical in that ....oh, gosh, It is almost that time isn't it - scary sort of way. I remember my sister and I howling about this book my parents had. "Where Did I Come From?" by Peter Mayle. It is available on Amazon and I might have to order it just for the memories. Cartoon drawings of people and yes, I recall there was cartoon nudity.

Anonymous said...

Since you guys haven't figured it out by now, here you go:
"Where do babies come from?." http://health.howstuffworks.com/adam-200107.htm 05 February 2009.
Gramma never told us either!!!

Anonymous said...

I think my book must have been the one Michelle got.

My memory is of asking my mom several times when we might find the appropriate time to discuss these matters.
Since I was 11 years old, I was hoping for a more grow-up exchange.

Instead, I received a book. I took my book to my room to read and review the illustrations of happy cartoon couples snuggled in bed.

WHAAT A DIAPOINTMENT! I had known everything in that book since I was 6! What ..a crock.
I guess I was looking for better material. (sorry, mom)

So Laura, what important lessons have you learned from this story?

Kisses ~ can't wait to see you and the kiddies!

Anonymous said...

okay...refer to aunt nancy's note...'gramma never told us either''. that's true. it is a wonder that the race can still continue. sorry kids.

Anonymous said...

Don't kids still come from the cabbage patch? Every convoluted, cute, explanation I tried to give Laura only came back to bite me in the butt. Give 'em as much as you think they're ready for straight up and label all body parts correctly. Then ask them not to tell all their friends -- or you'll get phone calls at night. It's amazing the names people conjure up for body parts and how they really think that's OK. (I'm sure it's different now!!!)

Anonymous said...

Nancy, you're hilarious.

Bethany, I have the feeling Kate will get the same treatment as you. I've learned there is no right way to handle this subject - Maddie will tell me how I handled it wrong when she grows up.

Janice, we've always been into using the proper terms and yet the younger two are obsessed with the V-word. Kate even told a friend of mine yesterday "My mom told me stop saying the word va--na so much around other people"
Again, Lord help me.

Anonymous said...

Yup, no matter how you handle it, you could have always done a better job upon reflection ... and your children's input when they become adults! God gives is children to keep us humble. They key is on-going conversation, not a single sit-down.

Anonymous said...

From Aunt Sandy on Mom's computer: God is so good giving our children mountains to climb in their travels thru parenthood... tee hee!!!!!!