Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Future Tree Hugger


Last Saturday morning, Maddie and I were pulling into our neighborhood. We both noticed a couple of coffee cups thrown into the grass on the side of the road. She always gets very perplexed about why people litter, so she says "I just don't get why people would throw their garbage out the window ... you're going to be home in two minutes, why can't it wait?" I told her she made a great point and kept on driving.
Right before we got to our street, she says "I think we ought to go back and pick that trash up." So, we circled around and went back.
Before I know it, she'll be teaching me everything I need to know about global warming and reducing my carbon footprint.
As long as she doesn't start referencing An Inconvenient Truth, I am very proud to have a green daughter.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful steward she is....well taught, I might add. Hey -- did you see your favorite star on the Oscars. Miley?? What's up with that? She's 15, looks 25, and when she opens her mouth she sounds 35. What happened to the 15 year old? It's so hard to keep a little girl a little girl.

Laura said...

She looks 25 because whoever does her makeup wants her to look like a hooker for some strange reason. At the Oscars, a lot of people thought she looked too blah and matronly... poor girl can't win.
And yes, somedays it feels impossible to keep my little girl little.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of Maddie! I try to have a very green household, I'm all about reusing, recycling, the whole 9, but my roommate refuses to believe. He doesn't like not being able to just dump everything in the garbage--at least I keep the recycling separte in the GARAGE; I don't make a big mess in the house with it! But, his thing is that it often takes more energy to recycle goods than it does to just dump 'em!

Anonymous said...

I go Green on St Patrick's Day: does that count?

Laura said...

...baby steps...

Mrs. Sofa said...

your dad's comments always give me a laugh!