Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sean on his first birthday.

This week has gotten away from me... I intended to write about some things I want to remember about Seany at this age.
For now, there's one story that encapsulates him at this stage of life... and it's an example of the huge heart he has.

A while back Maddie had lost a tooth. She lost it late at night, so unfortunately the toothfairy skipped our house. No big deal. Well, the next night -once again- the toothfairy must have fallen asleep on the job and forgot her. That led to many tears and much drama. We fumbled around for a lame excuse and assured her there was no way this would happen again.

This is where Sean comes in. That night, convinced that no-good, horrible toothfairy was going to forget his big sister again, he stayed up late. Later than us, later than Maddie. He took his only two $1 bills out of his piggy bank and went and put them under her pillow.
The thought of him struggling to stay awake past 10:30 and then tip-toeing into her room - and then not telling anyone- just melts me (especially knowing that his sisters would
never do something like that for him!)
He eventually told us after seeing how perplexed we were for a few days.
But that's Sean... he has an unbelievably soft heart for his family.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is the sweetest story -- it melts me, too. Isn't it amazing that so much of what we are and who we are is determined long before parenting can help or hurt. What a caring soul he is and will likely always be.

Robin said...

I absolutely love that story! Thanks for sharing it. Truly brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

He is such a sweet boy!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever heard the story about sean, though I do remember the bad tooth fairy one. so good you have your blog to keep the stories straight. love that sean

Laura said...

this just happened recently.... the toothfairy has been known to fall asleep on the job with at least two or three of her teeth.
I think it's a good thing... prepares them for the disappointment of finding out there isn't one.

(although she knows it isn't real, she's smart enough to play along so she can get the $$)

Anonymous said...

so the bad toothfairy still lives. always will and then you have this little guy who gives grace to his sister. I love this story.

Anonymous said...

how sweet!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! that brings tears to my eyes! what a sweetheart. i love that picture of him.

Heather said...

Wow, what an amazing little boy. I feel like crying. I can't believe he did that, what an awesome husband he will make someday.