Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First Couple of Days...

The first day and a half of our trip, I was on my own.
Pat had some meetings and I was fine and even excited to see things on my own.

Except to do that in a big city, it is critical that you know how to read a map.
When I look at maps I may as well be trying to read Russian. Forget the city map... I couldn't even make sense of the underground or bus route maps.
(seriously, tell me this tube map doesn't look intimidating)


I could have just taken cabs everywhere except they are SO expensive there. A cab ride to our hotel was 70 pounds (or about $140) So the only other option was the underground or bus ...and Pat was sure that I would end up in Scotland if left to my own navigating skills.
No biggie, I just stuck close to the hotel and window shopped and ate lunch and read and slept in. (a lot)
We were right across from Regents Park and Primrose Hill which offered plenty to see. Very gloomy the first two days we were there, though.



trudging up a very steep hill...



Important reminders ... maybe for those people who forget where they are. Not necessary for me... I looked both ways about sixteen times because I was sure I would be one of "those" people.

I will have you know with all the touring that we did ... by Sunday I felt pretty confident that I could find my way to just about anywhere in the city.... alright, maybe that's a stretch but I was getting much more confident.
Friday and Saturday we had awesome weather; just in time for some all-day touring. That's when we took all the pics, so I'll get the rest of those up soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool! And, for the record, I'm no good with a map either:) I love the phone booth photo--especially with the MINI driving by! Excited to see more and hear about what you bought in London.

Laura said...

thanks meggie...
for that picture I quick pulled the camera out of my pocket and took it while I was walking (trying to be all stealth) I felt like a huge tool taking pictures while not in a big tourist area.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I can read a map great! But I have absolutely no sense of direction. I walk out of my closet and turn the wrong way. When your Dad was about 12, he and his family were visiting. He fell off a wall at the park and we all thought he broke his ankle. So....my Dad drove him to the emergency room. Your Grandfather took the rest of his home and then I was elected to ride with Uncle Monte and direct him to the hospital to meet up with your Dad. We ended up 30 miles away in another city. It was the family joke for a long time. Your Grandfather so terrified me anyway -- I just remember the pain of go left, go right and his eyebrows growing longer as we got more lost. It's funny now but wasn't then. There was a time before GPS and I was there! LOL

Laura said...

I never heard that story before; thanks for sharing. My grandfather was quite intimidating so I can only imagine that pressure!