Tuesday, November 13, 2007

'Tis the Season..

...To get started on your holiday shopping!
Need any gift ideas??


Check out my friend Megan's new site:


www.meganoriginals.blogspot.com

She makes gorgeous scarves and purses, and her personalized stationary is awesome.




OK, enough about her and on to me.

I've been sick all day. I brought Sean home from school and was so desperate to just lay on the couch and not move. I gave him his Halloween bag and told him to go to town - just let me sleep. He didn't let me sleep... and he consumed many pounds of sugar.
On the up side I planned out my whole menu for Thanksgiving. After watching many cooking video clips online, I now feel prepared to make my first turkey. Woohoo!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear that you are sick and hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

OK, you probably already have something in mind, but as this will be your first turkey I have a fool proof recipe for you complements of Alton Brown.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html

I made my first turkey last year and it was GORGEOUS and tasted FANTASTIC. How is that for tooting my own horn!

Michelle said...

In case that link didn't show all the way the recipe is listed under "Good Eats Roast Turkey" on the foodnetwork.com

Anonymous said...

How funny - His was one of the clips I watched online, I love that guy. That whole brining process seems intimidating - did you do all that?
I'm considering doing the Barefoot Contessa's "perfect turkey recipe". Anything that calls for an entire stick of butter can't be all bad, right?

MKB said...

Hi Laura-I really hope you're feeling better. Not to be annoyingly "glass half full", but thank God it's not when you have to cook your 1st bird, which by the way will be fabulous. THANKS for sending people my way, you're truly an angel!!

Michelle said...

The brining process was not bad at all. I bought a plastic trash can big enough to fit the bird and the brine and let it soak overnight. I think I even made my own vegetable stock - I was a bit ambitious. The turkey was great!

But, you probably can't go wrong with the Barefoot Contessa either. I love her cookbooks! And anything with a stick of butter HAS to be good!

MKB said...

IN-A! IN-A! IN-A! O.K., don't get me wrong, I love her, but she's got to be on Prozac, or something. I'd love to be that cool-she's what the kids are calling "chill". hehe

Anonymous said...

the kids know who Ina is?? shocking!
but I love her -no disparaging remarks!

Michelle - I can't believe you're not making the turkey this year after all that great advice. I started to leave a comment but I didn't want "anonymous" getting mad at me again (um, so I'm leaving you a comment on MY blog, 'kay?)

Michelle D said...

Love the scarves Megan makes - I can never have enough scarves, hats or bags. Does she know about - www.etsy.com - I have a lot of friends who do really well over there.

I have no idea what to do with a turkey. I think we might be having a very merry unconventional Thanksgiving over here. Thai or sushi sounds good. I like eating other people's turkeys. I'm a Thanksgiving stray.

Hope your feeling better!