Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What to Do....continued

So, it was never my idea to tell the kids anything about Santa Claus. I put up a fight about keeping focused on the true meaning of Christmas and lost that fight handedly. The huz would hear none of it... so we told the kids that a big fat hairy man sneaks into our house on Christmas eve. Well, he told them, not me. I have been very carefully protecting myself. If they pull that "you lied to me" crap I will think nothing of letting him take the fall alone.

My only caveat was that once the kids got to the age where they said... tell me the truth, is there really a Santa Claus... the gig would be up. It's all fun and games until then.
So, two nights ago, while watching a Christmas movie Maddie turns to me and asks me the inevitable question. I ignored her and she finally stopped asking.

Then she started in again today. She says "tell me the truth and don't answer me by asking me if I think he's real". She's not the kind of kid that will just let up. But I was thinking she would have another year or two of this left. So, in a nutshell, this is really a post for my hubby to let him know I think the gig is about to be up. Sorry.



This is the e-mailed response I got regarding this post: "Is this a happy face or no?"
(something Kate says to us when she's angry)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, bah humbug!
I think I was twelve when I finally asked that question!

Anonymous said...

You have now started a debate in our household….I told Jamie about your dilemma and what will be my dilemma starting next year…do you let them believe do you not let them believe? Jamie was so upset that I would even consider not playing along in letting Paige think that a big hairy man slides down the chimney with his the elves. He doesn’t think it is “real” lie, it is something kids should enjoy believing in. This could get interesting.

Mrs. Sofa said...

I'm sure our husbands are all thinking "what is it with these Pyle women?" I know mine is! And I'm not meaning our moms, I'm meaning us.

Anonymous said...

i never felt like we were missing out on anything by not believing in santa. but if you do tell maddie the truth--then you wont get to bribe her with the whole if you're not good santa won't give you presents thing. but knowing her she would just say she doesnt care.

Michelle said...

We have started getting the same question from Michael and I too have avoided it one way or another. I think that the gig will be up after this year, if he hasn't decided for himself already. The concern will then shift from keeping one brother from spoiling the fun for the other one. I grew up believing in Santa and honestly can't remember when I found out that he wasn't real so it couldn't have been too traumatizing for me. Sadly, I think the joy of getting presents will make things OK in the end. If you keep focusing on the TRUE meaning of Christmas all will be fine. (I suppose I am writing this to myself as much as you!)

MKB said...

Do you think Pat's disappointment will lie in the fact that, deep down, he too is still a believer?

Anonymous said...

Meggie, I think you hit the nail on the head there.