No more "healthy" baking for me.
I really like to bake and sometimes I go through these phases where I try to incorporate healthy ingredients to the mix. I haven't done this in a while ... and now I think I remember why.
The kids and I made "healthy" oatmeal cookies yesterday - meaning we used whole-wheat flour, substituted some of the butter with applesauce and added craisins. (ok, we also drizzled some white chocolate on top in case they tasted too healthy) They were reeaaaaly good. So good in fact that my only regret was telling the hubby that we were making cookies. By the time he got home there were none left. NONE!
I would like to blame the kids but that would be unfair. I kept reasoning that I was getting several whole grains and fruit in each bite. Never mind the thousand+ calories that I consumed. Ugghhh! Never again!
That's why there's a market for organic oreos and such... a person like me could practically rationalize those into the vegetable category.
I really like to bake and sometimes I go through these phases where I try to incorporate healthy ingredients to the mix. I haven't done this in a while ... and now I think I remember why.
The kids and I made "healthy" oatmeal cookies yesterday - meaning we used whole-wheat flour, substituted some of the butter with applesauce and added craisins. (ok, we also drizzled some white chocolate on top in case they tasted too healthy) They were reeaaaaly good. So good in fact that my only regret was telling the hubby that we were making cookies. By the time he got home there were none left. NONE!
I would like to blame the kids but that would be unfair. I kept reasoning that I was getting several whole grains and fruit in each bite. Never mind the thousand+ calories that I consumed. Ugghhh! Never again!
That's why there's a market for organic oreos and such... a person like me could practically rationalize those into the vegetable category.
4 comments:
We are all-organic eaters BUT I don't want most things to taste healthy - in that icky-healthy way. Especially baked goods! I have this memory of when Erik and I were living in our first apartment and he made pancakes for me, for the first time. I am like a little kid with these things - I get really excited, I expect a certain thing and I'm crushed with disappointment of it's way off. Yes, crushed...over pancakes. I come in the kitchen and the freaking pancakes are dark brown. What the *#@!? They are brown not because they are burnt but because they have been made with whole wheat flour, blackstrap molasses and cooked in cast iron. They're so healthy, he says with a smile. Those are NOT pancakes, I tell him. Boy did he learn from that experience! And I've learned to be a bit nicer too. But really, one does not have to eat disgusting food to eat healthy. There is organic, all-purpose flour:)
Those cookies look and sound darn good!
yum-o again. you need to stop posting pictures of all your goodies, unless you packaged some up and shipped them to my house already.
I was about to blog about how many cheetos are missing from the FAMILY size bag...all of which I consumed. And I had to finish them off with two peppermint patties. Am I making you feel better yet?
But instead of blogging about it, I'm going to lay in bed and make it easier for them to cling to my hips ;)
love of cheetos a family thing?
ha! I can officially say I'm over those. Now I'm on to bigger and better things... like an entire pan of cookies in one day:)
Michelle - I've attempted the healthy pancakes a couple of times. They're as light and fluffy as a hockey puck and not a whole bottle of maple syrup could make anyone eat them:( Live and learn!
Post a Comment