Monday, January 21, 2008

Our new favorite place!

Farmer Mike's "U-Pick-Em" just might be my new favorite place around here. The kids had a blast picking their own strawberries and tomatoes. Kate ate her own body weight in berries, Sean had a few and Maddie refused to eat anything until it was washed.
Before I realized what they were doing, Sean picked a few dozen of the green ones and Kate was taking bites out of every single one she picked ... so we took some time out to go over strawberry-picking etiquette. After we were done picking, we walked across to the tomatoes and I told them they could each pick two. Kate picked one and starting eating it like it was an apple. That must have confused Sean because he followed suit ... then began spitting and retching for several minutes... "That was the nastiest strawberry I ever did eat"
The other local produce there looked so good ... as soon as the owners have a chance to forget us, we'll heading back.


Sean used his bug scope to examine each strawberry before picking it

9 comments:

Mrs. Sofa said...

That looks like fun! All the pics help tell the story :)

Michelle said...

Oh, I am so envious right now! We are blanketed with snow and I was just thinking the other day how I missed really fresh fruit and veggies - like fresh of the vine fresh. A really blah tomato from the store put me onto this train of thought.

I love the pictures! Looks like fun :-)

MKB said...

Have your kids flown alone yet? Well, as soon as they're ready, send 'em up to MI! They're so darn cute! Look at Maddie being the big sister.....these kids must have a really great mom!(o.k. and dad)

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun, I wish we had something like that here.

Anonymous said...

In Atlanta, we have grocery stores.

Anonymous said...

no farmer mike's in atlanta?? forget it, i don't want to live there anymore.

Robin said...

I can find you lots of farmer stands in Cleveland. Even a year round farmers market. Come live here again!!!!

Michelle D said...

What a fabulous idea! Even though we'll be in Atlanta they have a bunch of different berry picking places in Chattanooga. I also love the Apple Orchard on Signal Mountain but I can't remember if they let you pick or just give tours. Can't wait to do those kinds of things with my rabid babies. They are driving me crazy right now! :)

Anonymous said...

Why go to Farmer Mike's when you can go to Fresh Market?